I think the IGES importer in Soft hasn't been updated  for a long, long time. I
wouldn't blame Soft alone because IGES itself gave me trouble all the time even
when going through max,polytrans,MoI or Deep Exploration. Whenever possible I
asked clients for step format or at least something other than IGES.

Last week I got an IGES model and was horrible tesselated in both software I
tried (Max and MoI) and it needs a lot! of rebuild.

In general you will problably get the cleanest meshes out of MoI.
http://moi3d.com

I can strongly recommend it. It's a small NURBS modeller from an ex-programmer
of Rhino I think. I only bought it to convert CAD data. It gives very clean and
nice tesselated models. But don't expect any magic when dealing with IGES data.
Results will probably look as crappy as with anything else.

sven