if your priority is to embed your standalone app then pyside is the api
i'd choose.

licensing issues aside, it's the supported platform for Maya and Nuke
but, having said that, if you are

using a qt4.8 based build then it's trivial to switch to either as long
as you stick to basic python data types.

[1]http://qt-project.org/wiki/Differences_Between_PySide_and_PyQt

--
Jon Swindells
jon_swinde...@fastmail.fm