On 07/07/14 23:34, Ed Manning wrote:
Well, there are a lot of decent meshers out there, including the built-in one which is based on an older version of Eric Moootz's excellent emPolygonizer.

Actually I dont see how (traditionally) polygonized point clouds can have much more useful resulting meshes (topologywise) than an original dense mesh, as opposed to connecting points that have 'guided' positions on a surface where I can definitely see how.

The real issue, for reptoplogy to be most useful for animation, is that you need your new topology to have good edgeloop structure and flow as well as variable detail.  Much harder!
I agree that better results could probably still be achieved by hand, (not unlike UV unwrapping)
but I'm also convinced that (more than) decent/acceptable (while quick) results could be automated  (not unlike UV pelting)

(plus I think it's fair to say that there would be tons of other (shape generating) applications for this, like a more closely fitting point cloud hull)