"3. Is there a way to hide selected polygons? I searched around and I found
basically nothing regarding this"

NO ! THERE ISN't! THERE NEVER F***KING IS !!!!

for rigging : See if you can dig up fahrenheit digital (intermediate to
advanced) , i remember it as being one of the best, however it is very old,
a lot of practices may be antiquated.

I remember the DT maya tutorials being shockingly bad, i'd say harmful,
terrible mic sound in heavily steeped accents and shaky delivery. i'm sure
they have had to update since then so hopefully this will be remedied.