From: Stephen Davidson
Sent: Saturday, September 20, 2014 9:35 PM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: external material libraries.....

could this be of help?
http://www.chris-g.net/2012/07/11/localise-matlib-in-softimage/

On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 2:18 PM, <pete...@skynet.be> wrote:

  well, that’s what you end up doing – everything is built into the model –
reference it in scenes and add animation on it and override materials/shaders
through the passes system. And it works fine.

  but it would be interesting to have materials seperated, as a reference
library– eg, one eye shader, one leather, one metal shader, one wood... for all
assets across a production, and tweak those in a master scene. Switch the
renderer? Just go to the master scene, drop in the renderer specific shaders,
export the library – all assets are updated automagically on scene load. In
theory it could work like this, but in practice it’s just not reliable to be
any use.