I was very hopeful when I read your response Christian, but unfortunately
it didn't work :( It just welded back together again.

What I want is to make every polygon have UV borders. That way, when using
Pin-Border Smoothing while rendering a subdivided mesh, the original UVs
will be intact but the subdivided geometry within each original polygon
will still have smoothed UVs. This is how ZBrush export its Displacement
maps if you dont have the SmoothUV button checked in ZBrush. So to get a 1
to 1 match I need this functionality.

I know that I can get linear UVs while rendering subdivided meshes but that
makes all new geometry inside the original UVs to also be linear.

Does any of this makes sense?

It works in 3ds Max so I have verified there that I will get a 1 to 1 match
if manage to do this.

If this is not possible, the only workaround I can think of is adding a
really small randomized number to every UV coordinate by script.

/Jens

--
Jens Lindgren