tried the extract geo trick, same result. I would have thought exporting as
obj and reimporting would strip it of any weirdness though.

in the end, we did the bakes in maya, worked fine. needed the maya
derivatives checkbox turned on, but the result was as expected.

from here on we'll keep baking through maya, for the uv's but also due to
another fact rendermap only supports 1 thread when doing final gather
processing. another issue unlikely to get fixed now.

Cheers

James,