In the Softimage FBX import options, there is a checkbox under "Include":

Hard Edges - that´s off by default, you want this on.

I´m setting this to on and then I get a MarkHardEdge/Vertex op
floating in the Modeling Stack on import of the *.fbx

Those egdes are indentical to what I selected as Hard edges in Maya and
they show up blue as one would expect inside Softimage.

Unless you had triangulate on while exporting from Maya, that´ll create
extra
hardened edges, due to the triangulate option doing it´s thing.

Unreal4engine would like to have Tri´s for import of *.fbx files but in
terms
of full control, it´s not adviseable to have *.fbx decide on triangulation.

It´s better to do that manually based on the desired result and have *.fbx
not triangulate automatically, which can lead to unwanted shading errors.

For best I/O between Softimage and Maya, autotriangulation should definitely
be off.

Cheers,

tim