I have a need to export some destruction animation as skeleton
animation. I can run this simulation in the game engine, but I'd
prefer to have more control over the break with a repeatable outcome
and reduced cpu/gpu load.

I've used momentum+ImplosiaFX(the old free versions) to run some basic
shattering/destruction, frozen, created chunks with the tools.  But
the game engine I'd like to import into only allows skeletal
animation.  Is there a script that can take the chunks, add a bone at
the cog, envelope to that bone, and animate the root bone based off
local transformations from the other mesh?  Perhaps there is something
built into Softimage that does this or a script I haven't found
through google yet? If not I can try and script it, just haven't
attempted scripting in XSI before.

Thanks for any advice