I'm sure Softimage has died for freelance operators for existing production
facilities, but to freelance animation producers,  like myself,  it is
still a superior tool to get 3D animation completed from start to finish in
the shortest time possible.  With Redshift 3D it is even more efficient,
as far as workflow goes. Render time is not really a concern,  now.  I
really enjoyed the comic. Spot on.