As you said there was a similar issue when it moved from 2 to 4 cores (and later got solved)

Perhaps getting back to them about that? (although it would be understandable if it was partly by desing for the free watermark free license)

But I know Arhiles, he's a great, approchable, and passionate guy, and answers practically everything on the forum, and I'm sure you'd get help there, specially that like other renderers, soft is quite actively supported.

Going on a bit tangent here,
You mentioned toon rendering, but it's also great for things like ultra fine displacements, very dense hair/fur (Used for Ted 2 and other things)
things like -tens of millions-  of accurately shaded or just flat, freely motion-blurred & DOF'ed, almost completely tranparent micro-particles,
(more than OGL can handle.. you can preview motion with 'Display precentage' at 1%) which are also rendered extremely fast and memory efficiently.

VDB voxels is of course better for firey/smokey type things, and is something both 3DeLight & Arnold (and even MR) supporting VDB handle very well in ,

(VDB's perhaps generated with very soon to be (or already partly) released and UTLRA fast, memory efficient & high quality ExplosiaFX? :-]  )

But for fairly common Krakatoa-like FX or all sorts of guided or just turbulized wispy particle FX, sand/dust effects, energy fields, etc. ,
XSI (and ICE) with 3Delight is great for that (without teams of developers),
also Soft 2015 handles stopping simulations with lots of particles consistently by the next frame even with a wacom.

Stuff that's of course just way too much for MentalRay, and is something not exactly as optimized in Arnold unless that recently changed,
Fury is also great but gets iffy beyond 10 mill particles and shading is limited.

For stuff like this (C4D x-Particles) but higher point density enough to not see points

but seeing points can be fine for sand and such, such as this,

or like this (kratakoa) but not bound to fixed screen-space point size, if you get closer, particles get bigger.

Capt America / Avengers plasma effects (DoubleNegative), using internally developped tools to display and control a tiny percentage of particles generated at render time.

or very-much like this...

ILM Mission to Mars using renderman (2001)

Cheers!