call me old-fashioned, but ‘more 3D in the comp’ was not really what I was
after.

what good is a 3D environment without proper modelling, animation, simulation
tools? Adding a decent renderer to the comp raises more problems than it solves
IMO. quick placement of some imageplanes or 3D objects in 3D sure, but
‘integrating’ those properly into backplate or 3D elements can become so
involved (sometimes unexpectedly) that the broad toolset of a full 3D software
becomes a necessity.
Also, the time needed to do the job becomes incompatible with the fast workflow
in an editing environment (and compositing to some degree).

however, timing footage is usually a weak point, both in 3D and comp software –
and there DS really shined - it’s ‘timeline with effects’ – and in good
Softimage tradition, nonlinear & non destructive. I found DS and XSI so
complimentary – without too much overlap. If you will, the overlap was
compositing, which to both was a natural companion. But in it’s respective core
disciplines editing and 3D, there was little confusion – and that was perfect
IMO. It just needed more links/bridges/interop between the two.

Anyways – what good ruminating on how the synergy between these two unique and
sadly discontinued softwares could have been?
And how precisely that synergy does not exist elsewhere atm – whatever nice
things Foundry and others may be doing.

Perhaps it’s just my pipe dreams, with XSI and DS independently becoming my
preferred softwares (not for lack of exposure to others, some of which I also
had a soft spot for), and naturally whishing for them to play together ever
more.