Andrew Hazelden wrote the Dome master lens shader for Mental Ray to use in
Maya, 3DSmax and Softimage. The positive is its free and it even does
stereo 360 in a latlong format too. The negative is its obviously not
"viewport" real time, but at least it doesn't require tedious stitching!

http://www.andrewhazelden.com/blog/2012/06/domemaster3d-lens-shader-for-softimage/

However, he recently released a panoramic VR playblast for Maya at $249, so
maybe persuaded to do a softimage version if you have the funds.

http://www.andrewhazelden.com/blog/downloads/playblastvr-for-maya/

Cheers

--
Max Crow
Creative Supervisor

National Space Centre, Exploration Drive, Leicester, LE4 5NS, UK

http://www.NSCcreative.com <http://www.nsccreative.com/>