Thanks Gustavo and Cesar,

seems you agree that scripting is the way to go – at least as far as getting
data from file into ICE.
that’s way above my head for the time I’ll have to sort this out – so I might
end up copy pasting data from the text file.

I’ve been playing a bit with string manipulation in ICE – for now just typing a
string myself in ICE and then trying to filter the data I need out of that.
It’s not easy ( trying to wrap my head around strings in ICE) but I’m getting
there – and so far it’s quite fast.
I’m first dumping everything in one long string (hm, I’ll have to scale my data
1000 fold – so I’m worried this will become a problem) – and using a special
character to split into an array, and each frame I’ll access one element of the
array – from which I extract the data.
encapsulating the data I want with a dedicated character before and after seems
to be the easiest way to get at it in ICE. (I can specify to a degree how the
data will be delivered to me – lucky me)
Converting from string to scalar is a bit tricky I’m finding, but I think I’ll
just sort it out for integers – which should be enough for my needs.

I was hoping to drive some custom parameters from ICE, and viewing them in a
viewport slate – but it seems the refresh is hindered by gremlins.

Anyways – I have a prototype for the most tedious part that I wanted to
automate – so hopefully it scales well once I give it actual data.