And the Use Python installed with Softimage check box is selected? You
don't say, so I have to ask ;)

Is there anything logged at startup? Or if you run xsibatch?

Do you have these registry keys?

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\XSI.SIPython
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\XSI.SIPython.1

The CLSID key has a GUID value that will take you to another registry
entry, something like this:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{163D5231-715E-4C16-AB21-8235184E2685}