I'd imagine the animation mixer would be good for this.

Put your animation into a mixer source, then instance onto the mixer timeline. Mark and split the clip by parameter(s) to isolate the translation from the rotation. When you want the ship to lie still, simply mute the translation clip.

If you need to copy/paste the animation onto the rest of the scene, put the rest of the scene into a model and CTRL + drag the clip from the ship's timeline onto the scene's timeline. Use the clip's time warp feature to reverse motion if necessary. Use neutral poses on negatively scaled nulls to invert on an axis.

Matt

Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 11:02:50 -0800
From: Steven Caron <car...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Object motion converted to path animation but normalized
at origin?
To: "softimage@listproc.autodesk.com"

Thanks for the reply Eugene, but wouldn't that create a 'dependency cycle'
and reversing the direction along the curve isn't exactly neutralizing the
motion at origin. It needs to be mirrored. I was able to do what I needed
by hand with a lot of fiddling, I don't have it down to exact steps yet but
I will soon... in the mean time I am going to try another suggestion by
David Barosin...