Combustion and ...

John Morgan    24/10/2008

Not to fuel any fears, because this is regarding (Autodesk) Discreet Edit*

but I still keep my "End of Life (EOL) Notification Letter" as grim
reminder. It reads:

________
Dear edit* Customer,
We are writing to inform you that, regretfully, Discreet will be
discontinuing the edit* NT-based nonlinear editing system effective June
30, 2002.

This is one of the most difficult decision in Discreet's history. Our
decision to discontinue edit* was reached only after considering and number
of options and factors, particularly the investment that our customers have
made in their edit* systems, and the commitment to Discreet that this
represents.  This was balanced with the challenge of providing customers
with a competitively featured and priced solution, in the face of
increasing market polarization in the editing market.
The conclusion, from our evaluation, was to discontinue the product.

You, and other edit* customers, have been true ambassadors and evangelists
of this product, and we recognize the levels of concern and disappointment
that may result from our action. Please understand that we are committed
providing you with the information and guidance you may require. If you
have any questions, or would like to discuss any outstanding issues, feel
free to contact your local Discreet representative.

_________

They basically killed edit* because it was getting too close in features to
their much higher-priced Smoke/Flame package.

Three 3D apps with overlapping features!? Brace yourselves.

John

From Wiki..

Some of Autodesk's "retired" products are listed here:

  • Lightscape 3.2 Was the worlds only radiosity rendering package at the time (1991) developed from work done by Donald Greenberg at the Cornell University Department of Computer Graphics. (coining the term "Cornell Box")
    The problem with this part of Autodesk's history is that it was a time of discovery in computer graphics, and Cornell was one of the birthplaces for the technology.
    In this sense Lightscape was more than just another product, it was an essential part of the development of rendering technology generally, and part of its evolution.
    Additionally the software came from a university research department and represented the start of a development cycle that users the world over were watching closely.

    Regardless, Autodesk purchased rights to the software and promptly discontinued its sale.
    A very primitive version of the radiosity renderer was incorporated into the companies 3d Studio Max product, whilst existing Lightscape customers and the product were simply dropped.
    The most likely reason for this was that Lightscape offered a number of features that were simply too ahead of its time and therefore did not offer the optimum economic return for the company.

  • [...]

  • Softimage  Was discontinued after the release of Softimage 2015 in April 14, 2014.