Perhaps I m missing what you need, but there are available 3D printers that can
handle that level of detail. That said - if you need very flat and thin
letters, it sounds more like you need to use CNC foil cutting, or lasercutting.

http://www.shapeways.com/materials/frosted-detail-plastic

http://www.eurolaser.com/materials/plastic-foils/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X12HmdJfSbU

Hope this helps.