Hi Nicole,

I abandoned MentalRay many years ago after years of pain and trouble using
(fighting) MR in a production environment.

First I used 3Delight which solved some of the problems with MentalRay but had
its own, and after Arnold became a viable alternative we switched to that and I
have not used MR since then except for baking the odd texturemap.

Now I am playing with Redshift too, and while I would say Arnold is more robust
and versatile still, Redshift is amazingly fast and very quickly catching up
with Arnold. If you have serious need for rendering for animation I would not
hesitate for a second, regarding getting Redshift for replacing MR.

It is much faster and provides good GI with motionblur and DOF, the most
troublesome areas of MR rendering, and it is quite easy to get up to speed
with. If you do havy duty FinalGather renders, you will love Redshift.

At least you should try their trial if you have a decent graphics card - it
will quickly convince you :)

Cheers
Morten