I have a scene where half of a particular type of object gets its material
overwritten by a material from another object in the scene at load time. These
objects don't have material overrrides and neither are materials applied in a
group.

I have checked and checked this scene a gazillion times now and simply can't
find the cause of it. The only pointer I have so far is the material these
objects get is coming from a referenced model in the scene. I have tried making
the offending ref model local and see if this fixed the problem, but then the
same objects simply get a different material from a different ref model.

Does someone here perhaps have any clue how this can happen?

Thanks.

Morten