One thing puzzles me though. I would have thought the Curve Param constraint
could do what I have needed many times, ie constrain an object so it could move
freely along a spline driven by something else by its other end, so to speak.
Like a rod with a ring at the end hanging from a wire - you can pull the other
end of the rod and it will only be able to move along the wire.

I guess this requires a more complex system where the curve parameter is
somehow driven by the object that drives the animation.

MB