I wouldn't call myself a dinosaur, but I'm still here.

I remember that SIGGRAPH.  Nothing like having 10 mosquitos fly in your
mouth when trying to drink your beer.  I drove all the way from Chicago to
attend it.  Did the trip in 18 hours flat, nonstop, but for me it was the
show where if it could go wrong, it did go wrong.

For example, Kim Aldis and I were invited by Maggie to show examples of
using the XSI SDK in production for the Softimage SDK summit.  Upon checking
into my hotel the night before and plugging in my computer, I discovered all
my addons had been corrupted and my original source code to those addons was
on a CD back home leaving me nothing to show.  I think Kim experienced
something similar.  The next day at the SDK summit after the Softimage SDK
developers finished their lectures, MC Maggie told everybody in the room to
gather around the table where Kim and I were sitting (this was all
unscripted), then spent a few minutes hyping us up as the best XSI users
worldwide to set the stage.   Maggie then gave us the floor, but Kim and I
both kind of shrugged our shoulders because neither of us had anything
tangible to show.  So we tried to turn it into an impromptu Q+A session, but
it was a long 15 minutes of crickets.  The misery didn't end there...

I was also invited by Dave Lajoie to give a presentation how to write
shaders at the Softimage mental ray summit.  I was really intent on making a
good showing as I had developed a suite of light shaders for 3rd party
distribution I wanted to show off.  But again, my addons containing all my
shaders were corrupt and the source code was at home on a CD.  I tried to
explain to Dave, but he just cut me off and reassured me everything would be
alright.  He was thinking I was merely a little nervous from butterflies or
whatever.  Anyway, I lugged my desktop computer to the summit, hooked it up
to the projector and had to figure out how to fill 20 minutes with nothing
to show.  As I look around the room I see Thomas Driemeyer, the head of
development for mental images watching intently.  Standing next to him is
Marc Stevens and other important people from Softimage.  So I can't do any
fibbing to the pass the time, I needed to be accurate.  Frantically
searching my hard drive I found some old code for a light shader, but it was
a really early version that I knew had many bugs.  So on the spot I
improvised by introducing the mental ray manuals, where to find information
to write shaders, and specifically, how to understand the manuals as that
was a complaint I often saw on the list (most people only read the softimage
documentation which was often misleading).  After a few minutes I saw
disappointed faces in the crowd, so I took a deep breath, loaded my buggy
code into visual studio, and started the demonstration.  Before I could get
too far, Dave crawls up on his hands and knees and informs me with a hand
gesture I have 2 minutes remaining.  So I quickly rushed through what I
could of my light shader code and showed a few pre-rendered images of what
it could do, then wrapped up.  Ugh...

There were many other mis-capades at that show, but I digress.

Upon returning home from the show, I discovered XSI had a bug in the addon
system.  In early versions of XSI, all installed addons were stored in a
single file, not separate files like they are today.  Adding or removing an
addon meant the application would add/remove the relevant data from the
file.  But in the specific case of deleting an addon, there was a bug where
it introduced a byte offset error by deleting too much or too little
information.  All addons before the location of the error were fine, but all
addons appearing after the error were corrupted as data would be offset or
missing.  If you ever deleted the first addon in the file, then you
effectively corrupted all of them.  The only remedy was to reinstall XSI.

Matt

Message: 2 Date: Fri, 11 May 2018 11:23:14 –0500