I may already have existing indexes that I just want to move into SOLR.  I may,
for biz reasons, want separate indexes b/c my app is managing access, but I
don't want the overhead of multiple SOLR war installations.

I can see having one SOLR install that I am sharing with others who want to
index there own data in their own way.  Right now, my understanding, is I would
have to add in multiple wars for each application, or re-index everything with
the new data.

These ideas aren't fully fleshed out, I was just picking up a bit on what Erik
had said.  In my environment, we often have a need to support different indexes
that come and go, and it would be nice if an analyst could just declare the
format of their index, send it to a SOLR server and then index and search.

Just a few ideas on it, nothing critical

Yonik Seeley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > I think SOLR needs to be able to
support multiple Lucene indexes per WAR
> deployment as well

Is this because single requests need to query across multiple indexes?
Or do you have different document types that you don't want to stick
in the same physical Lucene index?

> With this idea, you could even imagine an application could upload a schema to
> SOLR and have it create the index, etc. upon which you could then add
> documents, etc.

It's a slightly foreign use-case for me since our search collections
are used to power websites (both content generation and
relevancy-search).  No one is going to share Solr servers, or even
change much of anything on-the-fly.  Any major changes require
validation (performance and otherwise).

What types of applications do you see this useful for?

-Yonik

On 4/26/06, Grant Ingersoll  wrote:

> Erik Hatcher  wrote:
> I've been mulling over the idea of having a single Solr instance
> morph into system that can handle multiple client-defined schemas
> (why not?  Lucene itself can handle it) rather than a static XML file
> and allow the schemas themselves to be retrievable (yes, I know it
> already is).  I'm still talking about a single Lucene index, but with
> each Document given a "soup" name field and filters automatically
> available to single out a specific soup.
>

> I agree.
>
> I also don't think it is going to work well to have one webapp per
> index/schema for those of us who want multiple indexes.  I think SOLR needs
> to be able to support multiple Lucene indexes per WAR deployment as well
> (although your soup idea would work well too) and then allow the requests to
> specify which index to use, maybe with some defaults.  With this idea, you
> could even imagine an application could upload a schema to SOLR and have it
> create the index, etc. upon which you could then add documents, etc.  No need
> to do anything command line at all.

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.grantingersoll.com

  • Re: GData Grant Ingersoll