On 12/20/06, Thorsten Scherler
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
looking at the source code I wonder whether we have a preferred xml
parser model?

I mean I can find:
- pull parsing
- DOM
- JDOM (at least in some jira patches)

IMO, DOM & xpath is good for config.  xpath is easy, flexible and less
error prone, and we aren't concerned with performance for reading
config.

Pull parsing (StAX) for anything performance critical.

XPP was used at the start, but I think there is a longer term plan to
go with StAX.
http://www.nabble.com/XPP-license-tf1468633.html#a3977357

SAX I have not seen yet and neither StAX. I made some very good
experience with StAX lately it is fast and easy to use.

Do we plan to recommend one technique (at least for the core)?
Do we have plans to create an interface for a SolrDocumentFactory? This
way we could have various underlying implementation returning always the
same: xml.

I ask because I may look into SOLR-20 and SOLR-30 and would like to use
StAX as underlying parser.

+1 for StAX as the default XML parser.
For a general Java client though, I'd try and make it flexible enough
to get at the underlying data stream so someone could use another
parser if they so desire (or different syntaxes such as JSON).

-Yonik