On Jan 3, 2007, at 8:18 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
Erik: doing my first "svn update" since you started working on the flare
stuff, i noticed a lot of files commited into client/ruby/solrb/ that
seem to be duplicates of other files from the repository ...
client/ruby/solrb/solr actually seems to be a duplicated copy of example
with some minor changes to the schema.xml and solrconfig.xml ... all
of the jetty jars are commited into client/ruby/solrb/solr/ext/, there's
even a client/ruby/solrb/solr/webapps/solr.war

I don't really get Ruby or Rails, so maybe i'm missing something about why you need another copy of these files -- but couldn't they be copied into
place by an ant target instead of commiting duplicate copies?

I wanted to lock in a version of Solr to avoid it being a moving target. I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean about copying using Ant. Ant isn't involved in the Ruby world (unless we develop some custom request handlers or something like that, specific to the Ruby stuff).

My consideration was primarily for those that will svn checkout from client/ruby and below, and being able to have Solr up and running easily.

There will at least be custom configuration for Solr with solrconfig.xml and schema.xml involved in the Ruby effort.

I'm open to suggestions for improvement, if there is a cleaner way to allow folks trying this out to easily bootstrap into a Solr instance with the desired configuration. I don't envision having the entire Solr application under the Ruby code permanently, mainly for folks to jump into it and help out as easily as possible.

        Erik