On 1/7/07 7:24 AM, "Erik Hatcher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The idea of having Solr handle various document types is a good one,
> for sure.  I'm not sure what specifics would need to be implemented,
> but I at least wanted to reply and say its a good idea!

The design issue for this is to be clear about the schema and how
documents are mapped into the schema. If all document types are
mapped into the same schema, then one type of query will work
for all. If the documents have different schemas (in the search
index), then the query needs an expansion specific to each
document type.

Example: I have RFC-2822 mail messages with "Subject:" and
HTML with "<title>". If I store those in Solr as subject and
title fields, then each query needs to search both fields.
If I put them both in a "document_title" field, then the
query can search one field.

wunder
--
Walter Underwood