Hi devs,

I'd like to see about making a SolrCache implementation that uses the memcached library @ http://www.whalin.com/memcached/. I believe that this would be useful for replicated sites, allowing all the search nodes to use a shared global cache.

From my reading of the LRUCache code and the SolrCache interface, it seems like this is doable. I don't believe it's possible to implement autowarming, as there doesn't seem to be a way to get a list of cached keys from the memcached library.

Can someone comment on whether this seems like a good idea? I would like to dig in the Solr internals, and this seems like a good starting point.

If so, I'm not certain how to pass up additional arguments to a custom SolrCache implementation - I'd like to replace queryResultCache with my implementation, but will need to provide additional configuration - memcache server string, etc. Is it permissible to add custom attributes to the queryResultCache configuration node?

Thanks for the feedback

-Shawn