On 1/14/07, Chris Hostetter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Any reason we shouldn't switch to native locks by default?
: In the future, read-only readers won't lock at all, but there will
: still be a write lock for writers.

just to clarify for people who may not be familiar (i had to go reread the
LockFactory docs to remember) Native Locks may not be supported on all
OSes, but have the perk of being cleaned up automatically in the event of
a JVM crash.

Ah, I hadn't realized that they might not be supported everywhere... I
thought I saw some comments about switching Lucene to use that by
default.

Are you thinking we would add a new solrconfig.xml option to control this
and default it to native locks?

Not a bad idea...

this is the first time i've noticed the SingleInstanceLockFactory ... in
most cases couldn't we use that for Solr?  I imagine we'll always need to
support lock files if we wanted to make sure we can do some of hte "can i
point Solr and an index created by _____" use cases people have been
asking about lately, ... but for the "normal" usage of Solr, isn't that
good enough?

The current locking can also guard against mistakes though (multiple
instances of Solr trying to write to the same dir, someone opening a
Luke index on it, etc).

-Yonik