>so, one way to disable ; parsing for all queries would be to add a
>default empty parameter for "sort"

Don't you have that backwards?

I don't think so (but it happens so often)

with the existing parser:

q=id:55;
q=id:55
 q=id:55;score asc

are all equivalent.  I'm suggesting we change so that:

q=id:55&sort=&...
q=id:55;
q=id:55
q=id:55;score

are equal, but not:

q=id:55&sort=&...
q=id:55;&sort=&...

The question is do we want to add *another* parameter to say "don't
parse the ; sort even if i don't specify the sort parameter"?

Yes, testing the existence/non-existence of a param is not great - but
I don't think adding another field is worth it for something this
small that *can* be accomplished with an empty (or explicit
'sort=score') parameter.  It seems like the effort involved in
explaining a new parameter is more then saying "if you don't want ';'
to get parsed as a sorting parameter, make sure to specify a 'sort'
parameter."

ryan