On 3/30/07, Maximilian Hütter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Chris Hostetter schrieb:

> I freely admit, I didn't appricate how much commons-logging is intended to
> be a middle-layer API for other arbitrary logging frameworks like JDK
> logging or log4j, but i still don't think it makes sense to switch,
> particulararly given the last paragraph of this wiki...
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/Commons_Logging_FUD

As you saw using commons-logging is not just another logging framework,
but would allow to use basically any framework you would like.

If this were the only consequence, it might be worth pursuing.  The
inherent classloader issues to providing that functionality seem to
have caused many other people much difficulty:

http://www.qos.ch/logging/thinkAgain.html

Actually I see the argument made in the last paragraph very much in
favor of using it in Solr. Solr is intended to be used with other
applications, which will very likely use different logging frameworks.

I don't think so--the author of commons-logging recommended it only
for small pieces of code used by other applications.  Solr is closer
to a stand-alone application/server.

-1.

-Mike