Since auditing solrconfig.xml defaults is on the list of things for 1.2, I thought I'd get the ball rolling:

Lazy field loading: seems like it would benefit more people to be enabled explicitly. I've been using it successfully and some substantial gains have been reported on the lucene list. The downsides don't really seen significant.

HashDocSet maxSize: perhaps consider increasing this, or making this by default a parameter which is tuned automatically (.5% of maxDocs, for instance)

Most people will start with the example solrconfig.xml, I suspect, and getting the performance-related settings right at the start will help the perception of Solr's performance. I'd be tempted to increase the default filterCache size too, but that can have quite high memory requirements.

-Mike