For anyone not following SOLR-135... there is discussion of some changes to the jar fiels and package layout. For SOLR-20, some classes need to be extracted from the main jar. We have two options:

1. Keep the package names as is and create a two jar files each with classes in o.a.s.util

2. Move the common classes to a new package: o.a.s.common and leave behind a stub class like:
 public class XML extends org.apache.solr.common.XML {
  // don't use this class!
 }
this won't break any API compatibility, but will be ugly until we have a cleanup release. (2.0?)

I favor option #2; I think Hoss is also for #2 - but we could both easily be convinced that #1 is fine.

thoughts, opinions?

ryan