For the record nagios and/or cacti could both keep track of 'in the last
x' type of statistics based on totals but having solr compute that
automatically would be nice.

That's a good point about totals... totalResponseTime is actually more
powerful than averageResponseTime in that a monitoring app can poll at
any frequency they wish to get averageResponseTime over the last
timeperiod.

Has anyone tried to get solr statistics with cacti/nagios? If it isn't too difficult, I would like to set this up.

Can cacti read & parse a file?

If we return an accumulated totalTime, what happens with the server restarts and the totalTime is reset to zero? My guess is it gets an invalid (negative?) number for that time slice, but hopefully continues normally.

ryan