I've been using the proposed PHP response writer code from SOLR-196
(eval-able php code) and SOLR-275 (serialized php data) for some time now
and would like to work towards getting these included in the main Solr
distribution.

http://www.nabble.com/Created%3A-%28SOLR-196%29-A-PHP-response-writer-for-Solr-tf3458434.html
http://www.nabble.com/-jira--Created%3A-%28SOLR-275%29-PHP-Serialized-Response-Writer-tf3980951.html

There is quite a bit of code duplication in SOLR-196 which I'd like to
eliminate if possible, and due to the way php serializes data (e.g. storing
the number of elements in an array) the JSONWriter may have to be refactored
(specifically where arrays are written directly using writer.write('{') and
writer.write('}') rather than writeArray() method.

In order to differentiate between the two, I propose we rename the
serialized writer to PHPSerializedResponseWriter to avoid any conflicts with
the original "eval" PHPResponseWriter and configure them as such:

<queryResponseWriter name="php" class="
org.apache.solr.request.PHPResponseWriter"/>
<queryResponseWriter name="phps" class="
org.apache.solr.request.PHPSerializedResponseWriter"/>

I'd just like to get some opinion / feedback on the above and also to figure
out the best approach to achieving this goal before I start making any
changes.

thanks,
Pieter