On 21-Sep-07, at 11:08 AM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

I wanted to take a step back for a second and think about if HTTP was
really the right choice for the transport for distributed search.

I think the high-level approach in SOLR-303 is the right way to go
about it, but I'm unsure if HTTP is the right transport.

I don't know anything about RMI, but is it possible to do 100's of simultaneous asynchronous requests cheaply? (It is with http, as you can use a select() loop on the sockets).

FWIW, our distributed search uses http over 120+ shards... and is written in python. We will likely end up using a java solution eventually, though--despite great optimization efforts, python is having trouble keeping up.

-Mike