The bit of magic is in using some controlled Duck Typing to find the correct
method if it exists in the instance.
I'll try uploading the raw code for the Compatiblity package in case this
leaves you wondering.

Uggg. this is an impressive option! But it feels like a HUGE hammer for a small nail. It would be nice to have the deprecation path lead to something small elegant and simple ;)

So, how do we proceed now ?
How do we reach closure on the topic ?

Not sure. Right now I'm thinking the best option is to look into a ThreadLocal option and heavily document how the init methods will change in a future version (2.0?) -- I don't see any 'clean' way to support two init methods simultaneously.

I will try a ThreadLocal / non-API breaking version today and post that. Hopefully this will get sorted soon as many things depend on it.

thanks
ryan