: One obvious thing that I found missing was the ability to create a
: core. Suppose I want to programmatically create a new core. Right now
: the only way is to create a solr home directory structure, place the
: configuration files (multicore.xml, solrconfig.xml, schema.xml) and
: then call MultiCore.load method. Writing custom code to do this on an
: embedded (local) solr instance is probably ok but it would be great if
: this feature is inside solr itself. A HTTP based API for doing this
: would also be required. Any thoughts?

Ryan and Henri are in the process of creating HTTP APIs for dynamicly
the config files where they need to be ... i would strongly argue against
Solr attempting to create an HTTP based API for "creating" or "uploading"
config files -- this is what things like WebDAV are for, no need for us to
reinvent the wheel.  If people want to be able to remotely create/modify
solr configurating files, then i'm sure there are a lot of  WebDAV type
java apps out there that could be run from the same servlet container as
Solr.

-Hoss