Anyone have good tips on working w/ java.util.logging (JUL)? For one, the configuration seems to be per JVM, which isn't all that useful in a webapp environment. http://www.crazysquirrel.com/computing/java/logging.jspx has some tips for Tomcat, but I am using Jetty. Not too mention, it seems, that if one wants to implement their own Handler, they have to somehow figure out how to get it in the right classloader, since the JVM classloader can't seem to find it if it is packaged in a WAR.

I know logging is sometimes a religious debate, but would others consider a patch that switched Solr to use log4j? Or, commons- logging? I just don't think JUL is up to snuff when it comes to logging. It's a PITA to configure, is not flexible, doesn't play nice with other logging systems and, all in all, just seems like crappy design by committee where the lowest common denominator won out.

The switch is quite painless, and the former offers a lot more flexibility, while the latter allows one to plugin whatever they see fit. I will work up a patch so people can at least see the options.

Cheers,
Grant