On 2-May-08, at 11:50 AM, Mike Klaas wrote:

On 2-May-08, at 10:14 AM, Ryan McKinley wrote:

[   ] Keep solr logging as is. (JUL)
[   ] Convert solr logging to SLF4J

[ X ] Abstain

I am not at all part of the java-enterprise-y world, and though as an outsider it strikes me as odd that that logging implementation in the language's stdlib is so bad that no-one uses it, that nevertheless seems to be the case. Though I'm following the discussion, I'm sticking out of the decision-making process.

For the record, we treat Solr as a stand-alone process, and interact with it via stderr and signals (log messages are scraped and fed back into our logging system).

(off-topic-ly, this allows us to easily do things like:
$ tcmd.py -a restart solr
< shutdown 120 Solr servers across the cluster, wait for them to come back up and register, display any exceptions or timeouts >
)

-Mike