I'm looking at IndexSchema and want to get the name of the default search field name, so I take a look at IndexSchema.getDefaultSearchFieldName() and the javadocs deprecation says:

@deprecated use getSolrQueryParser().getField() //which should really be getSolrQueryParser(null).getField()

Then, when I look at the IndexSchema.getSolrQueryParser(), it takes in the name of the default field, or null if you want the one from the schema.

Then, in looking at the constructor used for the SolrQueryParser, it then does:

super(defaultField == null ? schema.getDefaultSearchFieldName() : defaultField, schema.getQueryAnalyzer());

In other words, it turns around and calls the very method that was deprecated to begin with. I don't quite understand why we would deprecate something, add new functionality to supposedly replace it and then have it use the functionality that we just deprecated?

This was changed on rev 510689. Mostly just wondering what the intent is for the <defaultSearchField> tag. Are we planning on getting rid of it?

Thanks,
Grant