Solr is not going to solve your DDOS attack issues no what whats put in place I would think - if it was made a focus to do that type of thing, it would be a bit like trying to hold the dyke together with your finger. What was the name of that Israeli security company that was DDOS'd out of existence...

Cameron (JIRA) wrote:
[ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-683?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=12621642#action_12621642 ]
Cameron commented on SOLR-683:
------------------------------

We could up the number of threads in our container, but this does not
completely resolve the issue, as any sort of denial of service attack would
potentially cause this to happen with no possible way of recovery.  I would
agree that some sort of timeout would be needed to actually solve the issue.

Distributed Search / Shards Deadlock
------------------------------------

                Key: SOLR-683
            Project: Solr
         Issue Type: Bug
         Components: search
   Affects Versions: 1.3
        Environment: Linux
jre1.6.0_05
8GB RAM
2 x 2 core AMD 2.4 Ghz
2 x 140GB disk
           Reporter: Cameron
           Assignee: Yonik Seeley
            Fix For: 1.3

        Attachments: locked.log

Per this discussion:
http://www.nabble.com/Distributed-Search-Strategy---Shards-td18882112.html
Solr seems to lock up when running distributed search on three servers, with
all three using shards of each other.  Thread dump attached.