Hi,

I was reading through some old threads on solr-user on implementing an
auto-complete feature. A lot of times it was suggested that people should
use in-memory trie data structures to implement this efficiently for high
query loads rather than using Solr's facet.prefix support, perhaps at the
cost of additional memory.

How about adding this functionality to Solr itself? I haven't thought a lot
about on how to implement this but I just wanted to see what you guys think
about it. It can be a handler or a search component or it can be an opt-in
enhancement to FacetComponent itself. Just like SpellCheckComponent, it
would have commands to build the radix tree (or whatever data structure we
decide on) and to query it. It can give only the suggestions (terms) or both
suggestions+counts, if the user wants.

Thoughts?

--
Regards,