I think Hoss has a good point here.  Solr has not shipped 1.3 yet and
really needs to.  A lot of the functionality mentioned would probably
break any backward compatibility and/or require large rewrites of
code.

For Ocean I guess I should just state more clearly that it's really
supposed to be a replacement for SQL databases like what Google has
done with GData and not just realtime search using Lucene.  There may
be some issues with doing this, however they can and should be
addressed.  This article by Adam Bosworth explains well how a
massively scalable search database has many benefits over scaling SQL
database systems
http://acmqueue.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=337  I
see this as the clear future for most companies, even if it takes a
long time for even a few companies to implement outside of Google.
There are too many cost and feature advantages in using search based
databases, rather than using a mix of SQL and then doing batch based
updates later.  I doubt most companies would try to do it at this
point, however one would say the same thing about SQL databases in the
1970s.

In any case, SOLR is very cool and it would be great to see some of
the analyzers, NumberUtils and other things go back into core Lucene
at some point.

Jason