IMO, you are underestimating the difficulty of integrating Ocean with Solr's current API's.

Also, Jason has already mentioned that Ocean is much more than just realtime search. Adding realtime search to something like solr 1.5 is a different goal than possibly integrating the Ocean work that has been done / is planned, which seems like a very large scope project and if done would certainly seem to merit a 2.0 change in its own right.

Still seems large and nebulous to me at the moment...just like solr 2. They go well together in my mind <g>

Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् wrote:
Postponing Ocean Integration towards 2.0 is not a good idea. First of
all we do not know when 2.0 is going to happen. delaying  such a good
feature till 2.0 is wasting time.

My assumption was that Actually realtime search may have nothing to do
with the core itself . It may be fine with a Pluggable
SolrIndexSearcherFactory/SolrIndexWriterFactory . Ocean can have a
unified reader-writer which may choose to implement both in one class.

A total rewrite has its own problems. Achieving consensus on how
things should change is time consuming. So it will keep getting
delayed.  If with a few changes we can start the integration, that is
the best way forward . Eventually , we can slowly ,  evolve to a
better design. But, the design need not be as important as the feature
itself.