On Sep 18, 2008, at 11:53 AM, Jason Rutherglen wrote:

Placing both lat and long in the same field is good when used internally

The initial filtered range query should be much faster this way.  Is
it possible to then extract the lat and long out of the geohash for
the narrowing portion?

correct -- depending on the hash length, you get greater precision. With a 10 character long hash, you get 2 foot precision.

I'm not sure how we would do the implementation details, but I'm imagining the stored value would (could) be the exact input string and an analyzer generates geohash token. and maybe stores the exact location as payload. Then a location query would do a range query on the proper geohash, and then if necessary do real math on the exact locations -- either from a payload or stored field...