I agree with Mike.  The simpler you make it the higher the chances of the plan
being followed.  I had to re-read the part about un-released versions.
Moreover, rigid rules work great when people doing the work can really spend
quality time on the project.  This means that people working on Solr
through/for their work are really the people who could stick to the plan and
everyone else will do whatever is possible for that individual at a time.
Hadoop is a good example, and with a couple of people working on Solr full-time
now, more structured approach might be possible.  That said, I'd be careful of
not making things too "work-like" (deadlines, committments, etc.) or else you
risk losing people who have enough deadlines and other pressures already.

I'm not sure about that experimental vs. stable release suggestion - I think it
can be as simple as "treat the trunk as experimental/in development" (which it
is!) and only releases are stable.  In other words, no need to change anything
there IMHO.

Otis