On Oct 1, 2008, at 5:33 PM, Ryan McKinley wrote:
I disagree with Erik that we should have people explicitly configure the components.

Folks don't have to explicitly configure them, if they are just running with the example configuration - which is more likely than not.

Oh, another thing about search components, I don't like the first/ last thing - I like it to be explicit, less magic.

As for component registration precedence, it is the configured Component that has precedence. The Component initialization code only adds the default Component if that name is not already used. Registering your own "spellcheck" Component will use your component.

Right, but what if someone has a "stats" component now in 1.3 wired into a custom request handler (but not /select), then upgrades to 1.4 with the new implicit "stats" built-in - then all of a sudden a request to /select will use _their_ stats component, not the built in one. Right?

Ok, I see you point... since we are past 1.3, this may a moot point, but how about something like:

* SearchHandler has no components registered and must be configured manually. * StandardRequestHandler (currently nothing more then extends SearchHandler) would register all components with no dependancies - it would not support things like first/last components.

Users extending SearchHandler would have absolute control -- users extending StandardRequestHandler would have standard configuration - features may be added between major releases, but not removed.

ryan