So, the answer to my own ? is:

I was getting:
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer.create(CoreContainer.java:315)
at com.grantingersoll.noodles.EmbeddedTest.testEmbedded(EmbeddedTest.java: 23)
at sun .reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java: 39) at sun .reflect .DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java: 25) at com.intellij.rt.execution.junit.JUnitStarter.main(JUnitStarter.java:40)

For the code:
CoreContainer container = new CoreContainer();
CoreDescriptor descriptor = new CoreDescriptor(container, "spell", "src/main/resources/solr");
    SolrCore core = container.create(descriptor);
final SolrServer client = new EmbeddedSolrServer(container, "spell");
    assertTrue("client is null and it shouldn't be", client != null);

This is b/c CoreContainer contains the following code:
File idir = new File(dcore.getInstanceDir());
    if (!idir.isAbsolute()) {
      idir = new File(loader.getInstanceDir(), dcore.getInstanceDir());
    }

The problem is loader is not initialized yet, b/c load isn't called. Switching to an absolute path is a workaround, but I suppose this is a bug.

-Grant