Thanks! I don't know that I have ever see the Java Preferences app before. At any rate, now I have:

budapest:asf_solr_src epugh$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_07"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06-153)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.6.0_07-b06-57, mixed mode)

but still getting the same:

An exception has occurred in the compiler (1.5.0_16). Please file a bug at the Java Developer Connection (http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport ) after checking the Bug Parade for duplicates. Include your program and the following diagnostic in your report. Thank you. [javac] com.sun.tools.javac.code.Symbol$CompletionFailure: file org/simpleframework/xml/Root.class not found

I ran ant -diagnostics and saw it was still using 1.5. Turns out that JAVA_HOME was pointed to /Library/Java/Home and I needed it to point to /usr/bin/java. So I did export JAVA_HOME=/usr and it seems to work. The cluster code all compiled.

Hopefully this helps out anyone else on OSX....

Eric