1. Solr has it's own indexer and search so you don't need to program your own. 2. Yes, a lot. Solr can scale when/if you need to. Solr is stable. If you need support you can get it from companies such as Lucid Imagination. There are a lot more. 3. Do you mean use Solr to replicate your own index? If yes, then the answer is no. If you want to replicate a Solr index without using Solr's search or caching the answer is yes but I don't know why you would not use Solr's searcher.

Thanks,

Matt Weber
eSr Technologies
http://www.esr-technologies.com